- Global forum fosters the growth of the forest products professionals and research community
- Sessions tackle timely forest products issues and market opportunities facing the industry
- Impressive line-up of speakers features Head of Department of Forest Biomaterials at North Carolina State University, Dr. Steve Kelley, and scientists from universities around the globe
- Researchers share the latest advances in wood processing, biomass, nanotechnology, adhesives, and composites
PORTLAND – May 13, 2016 – The Biomass industry has experienced strong growth in recent years, sparking new and viable research into the latest advances. The research team from Waste to Wisdom, a U.S. Department of Energy-funded research project, will share its findings in a special session on Biomass Innovations at the Forest Products Society’s (FPS) 70th International Convention, June 27-29, 2016 in Portland, Oregon, USA. Under the theme “New Horizons for the Forest Products Industry,” the Forest Products Society (FPS) is the leading global network for forest products professionals.
The FPS Convention’s theme is reflected in the line-up of speakers, presentations and on-site activities, featuring several sessions with global experts showcasing the latest research in biomass including:
- Biomass Feedstock Development
- Biomass Conversion Technologies — Torrefaction, Densification, and Gasification
- Environmental and Economic Analysis of Biomass Conversion Processes
- Biochar Production and Utilization
In addition, Dr. Steve Kelley, Professor and the Head of the Department of Forest Biomaterials at North Carolina State University, will present a keynote “Counting Carbon to EPD; a Retrospective and Prospective on CORRIM.” Dr. Kelley has dedicated his research to the sustainable production of energy and materials from biomass, and life cycle analysis of wood products and energy systems.
The FPS International Convention is a staple for the forest products community, bringing together hundreds of scientists, design professionals, managers, decision makers, and others from academia, government, nonprofit, and industry sectors from around the world to discuss the latest forest products research and how it can be applied in industry.
The Convention’s partners and sponsors include: Western Wood Products Association, Hexion, Timber Products Inspection, Louisiana Forest Products Development Center/School of Renewable Natural Resources/Louisiana State University Agricultural Center, The Engineered Wood Association, TAPPI, and the Southern Forest Products Association.
For more information about the Convention, registration and sponsorship opportunities, please visit www.fpsconvention.org.
About Forest Products Society
Founded in 1947, the Forest Products Society’s vision is to be the international leader for advancing the sustainable use of renewable cellulosic resources through science and technology. www.forestprod.org.