- This event has passed.
Waste to Wisdom Public Workshop: Forest Residues to Bioenergy and Bio-based Products
May 17th, 2017 @ 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Limited seats available.
Waste to Wisdom is an innovative biomass research project led by Humboldt State University and 15 regional partners, who are building on existing research on the conversion of forest residues into renewable energy and other valuable bio-based products. Our goal is to make better use of forest residues wasted from timber harvests and thinning by using new equipment, operations, and technologies that can turn that biomass into valuable bioenergy and bio-based products.
During our one day public workshop you will have an opportunity to:
- See innovative methods and tools used to convert forest residues into high quality biomass feedstock to specifications required by different biomass conversion technologies.
- Learn how we developed a model to optimize the selection of production pathways including collection, comminution, product upgrading (moisture control, densification, and in-woods biomass conversion), and transportation to maximize net revenue.
- Hear how we scaled-up the most promising prototype units for three biomass conversion technologies — biochar production system, torrefier, and briquetter — to sizes appropriate for achieving commercialization.
- Understand how we evaluated the economic feasibility, social impacts, and ecological sustainability of implementing the proposed conversion technologies in addition to a cradle-to-grave life cycle inventory for each of the individual systems.
- Participate in topic-based breakout discussions.