Pellet Fuels Institute will assess the adaptability of RUF Briquetting Systems commercial biomass briquetting equipment for use in or near woods to process a variety of forest residue types. (RUF briquetters have a long history of use in both Europe and the U.S. and were originally designed to utilize waste bark.) Forest residues that have been comminuted in the woods will be processed into densified briquettes and torrefied wood will be tested as a feedstock for briquetting. Modifications needed for field operation will be evaluated and/or implemented. Pellet Fuels Institute will address issues inherent in creating a field deployable system, including the necessary support and material handling equipment.
Organizations completing task
- Schatz Energy Research Center, HSU
- Pellet Fuels Institute
- RUF Briquetting Systems
- Analysis of field deployed briquetting system for forest residues
- Summary report documenting field readiness of briquetting equipment
- [PFI] Pellet Fuels Institute. 2015. Existing Performance and Operational Data for Briquetting Machinery.
- Crouch, J. 2016. Address modifications to briquetter for field deployable system.