This task will involve the adaptation and scale up of Biochar Solution’s biochar production unit to be a field-ready, high production system. Activities will include:
- Develop field applicable tooling and parts box
- Add a laser-level based reactor loading control to reduce operator effort
- Develop and add stack fire protection to improve fire safety in field operations
- Double throughput capacity of the unit
Organizations completing task
- Schatz Energy Research Center, HSU
- Biochar Solutions Inc.
- Field-ready biochar production unit
- Documentation showing tooling and parts box, laser-level based reactor loading control, and fire protection improvements
- Documentation of throughput capacity improvement
- Severy, M., D. Carter, K. Palmer, A. Eggink, C. Chamberlin, and A. Jacobson. 2018. Performance and emissions control of commercial-scale biochar production unit. Applied Engineering in Agriculture. ASABE special collection publication. 34(1): 73-84.
- [BSI] Biochar Solutions, Inc. 2014. Biochar Machine Field Ready Tool Kit Documentation.